da Carioca , popularly known as "Bica da Carioca" , is a
centennial monument. The fountain itself already existed, although
bearing a cruder appearence, even before being effectively built
by the municipal council in 1842. Originally, according to
historians, the fountain was made in bamboo spouts and the water
which spouted out used to be delievered home in barrels, being
carried by a mule named “Malacorre”. The monument is
surrounded by an atmosphere of enchantment and mystery, sustained
by popular beliefs and legends. Some visitors, exemplarily, insist
on drinking from its water (according to the legend those who
drink from it will feel permanently attracted to Angra dos Reis) .
Although it is rather a poetic belief than something seriously
taken, many of those who were once mere visitors, and ,for some
reason, came back to live in Angra dos Reis, regard it as being
some modern buildings have been raised around, thereby depriving
the fountain of its original characteristics. The general
conservation of the monument is, however, considered good.
Concerning its localization, the monument is situated at a
public square, just where two narrow streets cross each other. The
building consists basically of a central body and a stonebasin
into where five spouts deposit water. On the upper portion of the
building, more speciffically on its freeze, one can read the words
: “Pela Câmara Municipal” (“Raised by the Municipal Council”).
Abouve the cornice, situated at the side, one can see two
pinnacles and ,in the center, an ornamental frontispiece and a
smaller pinnacle. On the right, there is a tank from where the
water is drained away.